Spotlight

Ok friends. I was going to talk about family today, however, with the recent home going of Michael Jackson and all the controversy in the media.

I know a lot of just want Michael to be able to rest in peace. I know I do. But that's not reality and we all know that. Michael Jackson was the "GREATEST ENTERTAINER".

How many of us looked up to him when we were growing up? I know I did. I had Michael Jackson EVERYTHING. I had t-shirts in every color, watches, earrings, socks, glove, jackets, hats, posters that covered the paint on my bedroom walls. I didn't even know what color they were.

Michael was always in the spotlight...Good or Bad. And sad thing is...even though he is gone...he will still be in the spotlight.

I have a serious problem with athletes, musicians, actors, etc that have made a pretty good name for themselves saying that they are not role models. I understand why they say that, and I understand that is a lot of responsibility to put on these people. HOWEVER, like it or not...when you have the STATUS that you have...kids look up to you and want to be like you. As an athlete, musician, actor, etc., you have a slight responsibility to be someone positive that these kids look up to.

If you don't want to be a role model...then don't be in the "spotlight". I strive to have a relationship and life that I'm my daughter's role model. And so far I have accomplished that. She tells me on a regular basis that she wants to be like me. I tell her good, but I want her to be better than me and be her daughter's role model.

My boys have positive role models that they can reach out and touch. My husband is a provider, he works hard, and still finds time to spend with his family. I don't care what anyone says kids carry what they learn in childhood into adulthood. They imitate what they see. My daughter watches my husband open the door for me when we get in and out of the car, or entering and exiting a building. So now, she stands at the door and waits for someone to open it for her. And when she starts dating, she will date men that open the door for her without her having to ask them.

So with that, people, spotlight or no spotlight, it's time to make a change in your lifestyles. It's time we all strive to be a role model for not only our children, but all children. They are our future.

I must admit, I have my reservations about Michael Jackson's children, but I won't judge him. To each his own. However he got those kids, for whatever reason, has nothing to do with my everyday lifestyle. Our focuses should be on our own families, our futures, etc. There aren't many of us reading this blog that had a "personal" relationship with Michael Jackson. We owe him nothing and he owes us nothing. So what if he wanted to change his appearance. He gave us great music that will live forever in our lives.

Yes Michael was an icon, he was a humanitarian. He did things that only most dream about doing. But reality is reality. The media will not focus on that as much as they will on the controversial things he has done.
R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

Mogulette Diva

Comments

  1. When you speak, you speak volumes. Many parents don't understand you can be your childs role mode with just hard work and dedication. For a child to look up to a parent instead of an "ICON" speaks volumes to the type of parent you have been. Many parents slip and dont want to be bothered, but in all honesty you never stop being a parent not even when that child is grown. When the slightest problem comes about and they not know how to deal with it. They come back home to the parents. It just goes to show you can be the best parent their is with just HARD WORK & DEDICATION!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment