It's Not My Fault- Letter From a Light Skin

My dear darker skin sister, why do you dislike me so?





The things you say about me:

  • "I think I'm better than you." Did I tell you that?
  • "I think I'm prettier than you." Did I say that to you directly?
  • "Your men (black men) prefer a light skin woman" And I'm at fault for this how?
  • "My opportunities are better than yours because I'm lighter than you" Is that MY fault?
Damn, now that I have that out of the way my darker skin sister, let me say that your battles are no greater than mine. You hate me because my complexion is lighter than yours yet you don't even know me. You have let society, yet once again, determine how you feel about someone and assist in our separation. 

NOW please don't take this as any disrespect because so many get offended and defensive when one of us "light skins" speak up, when this really shouldn't even be an issue among us. When you prejudge us based on the "shade"  you throw our way, you are doing exactly what THEY (in my DJ Khaled voice) have been conditioning us to think about each other for years. You hold what THEY (in my DJ Khaled voice again) did to OUR (not just your) ancestors against us because we are lighter. You speak negatively about us and cover it with saying you are empowering darker skin black women. 

I honestly don't normally address this melanin topic because I feel like it just continues to add to another negative aspect of the black race, and instead of keeping hope alive, we continue to keep the Willie Lynch Syndrome alive and well (Don't know what that is? Google it ). We as black people, and yes I said we because NO matter what our skin tone is they still see us as black and our battles are the same. We as black women have the same battles. IT IS NOT MY FAULT the massa continuously took our great, great, great, and even more great grandmothers and raped them and made them bare his lighter skin children. Stop blaming me for the insecurities that SOCIETY has bestowed upon you. 

The empowerment phrases we use today:  #Blackgirlsrock #Blackgirlmagic #blacklivesmatter  doesn't have a skin tone description attached to it... It just says BLACK. And like it or not, light skins fall right into that term along with you. 

I can go on and on, we can go back and forth. I don't know your struggles and you don't know mine as a black woman. However, I still respect you, cheer you on, and support you as a BLACK WOMAN. 

I don't blame YOU for the things I am denied or have to endure because I'm a black woman. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT! 

Sincerely and with love, 
A light skin

I would love to hear your views about this topic. Please posts all comments below. 

Comments

  1. This is a topic that is over done, its no secret that lighter is a preference in mainstream and local circles. The insecurities of darker sistahs and other races are not unwarranted and as far as you not being liked because of your hue is slightly exaggerated because you yourself stated you have mostly darker skin friends. You may have some insecurities because of the biases you know exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment unknown. First let me say I have NO insecurities about who I am. The point of this post was to let darker skin women who have issues with lighter skin women have those issues because they were conditioned to have them. We have the same battles. When any other race sees me they don't say there's a light skinned black girl they say there's a black girl. The purpose of this post was to simply let dark skinned women know that their feeling towards lighter skinned women isn't our fault. But if they don't know their history this post won't be taken the way it's meant, of course. It's Not My Fault.

      Delete

Post a Comment