Family

It's been a minute since I've blogged. But with all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, sometimes it's a difficult for me to sit down and take time to put my thoughts in words.

This weekend was a very special weekend. We celebrated my mother-in-laws 60th birthday. My sister-in-law and I spent the last 3 months planning and spending money for this day. We wanted to make it as special as it could be. And I must say, mama had a wonderful time. We all did.

The guests were in black and/or white, and the lady of the evening wore her favorite color.

I always love to see my husband around certain members of his family. His dad, his grandmother, and most of all his, mom.

I decided to do something that no one else knew I was going to do. I've been a member of this family since I was 13 years old. I've always been mother-in-laws daughter. She's always been like a mom to me. I'm blessed to have such a great mother-in-law.

Photobucket

Me, my husband grandma, his mom, and hubby

I felt that it was only right to have her children say some special words to her at her 60th celebration.

I started it out with a short thank you for being a second mother, a great mother-in-law, and raising such a good man. And thanking her for giving him to me. J

Then my sister-in-law. These two are best friends, connected at the hip, and inseperable. Reminds me of the relationship that my daughter and I have. I know what they have is super special because there are things that only the two of them know about each other.

Then my brother-in-law. Let's just say, he was at a loss for words. Probably because I put him on the spot. J But that's what I do.

Then we come to my husband. One who is definitely never at a loss for words. He always knows what to say, how to say it, when to say it. He started of course, by being the oldest, thank her for EVERYTHING she has done for him. For sticking by him through the hard times. How she is the best thing to ever happen to him. He pretty much summed it all up with the first verse of Dear Mama by 2Pac Shakur:

You are appreciated...

When I was young, me and my mama had beef
17 years old kicked out on tha streets
though back in tha time, I never thought I'd see her face
ain't a woman alive that can take my momma's place
suspended from school, scared ta go home
I was a fool with tha big boys breaking all tha rules
shed tears with my baby sister
over tha years we wuz poorer than tha other little kids
and even though we didn't have different daddies
tha same drama when things went wrong we blamed mama
I reminised on tha stress I caused, it wuz hell
hugg'en on my mama from a jail cell
and who'ed think in elementary, heeeey i'd see tha penitentiary
One day
running from tha Police, that's right
Momma catch me--put a whoop'en to my backside
and even as a crack fiend mama,
ya always was a black queen mama
I finally understand for a woman
it ain't easy--trying to raise a man
ya always wuz commited, an almost poor almost single mother on welfare,
tell me how ya did it
there's no way I can pay ya back
but tha plan is ta show ya that I understand.
you are appreciated......

After spending an evening celebrating a woman who has been significant in so many peoples lives, it just reminds me of how important family is or should be.

Then to top the weekend off, on Sunday, my husband, 2 of my kids, and my mom, drove South 2 ½ hours to see my soon to be 89 year old grandmother, and my mom's baby brother. They cooked a great dinner, and I fell asleep. LOL. But it was worth it.

Comments